Students who have retaken courses and earned a higher grade may request to have the first recorded grade excluded from their institutional grade point average (GPA). Excluded grades will still appear on the official transcript.
This policy does not supersede financial aid policies for Satisfactory Academic Progress or other GPA requirements set by federal or state laws or regulations or transfer institutions. Such policies and laws use a different GPA calculation which is unaffected by this policy.
This policy applies to courses where the retaken course was attempted in the Fall Semester 2011 or thereafter. Students who have repeated courses prior to this term will not be allowed to exclude earlier attempts.
Students requesting to have a grade excluded from their Georgia Perimeter College (GPC) GPA must submit a Grade Forgiveness Request available in the campus Enrollment & Registration Services office. Approval of the request is subject to the following conditions:
- A student must have retaken the same course (or the renumbered substitute for that course) at Georgia Perimeter College (GPC) and earned a higher grade.
- No more than a total of four course grades (from four different courses) may be forgiven and excluded from the student’s GPA.
- Requests must be submitted prior to the first day of the term of graduation.
- Once a request has been approved the request will not be revoked or reversed.
- A student may only exclude the first grade earned in a course. For example, if a student takes a course three times, the student may use the second or third grade to exclude the first grade. The student may not use the third grade to exclude the second grade.
- Only grades that are included in a student’s GPA calculation may be replaced. For example, grades of W, S, and U cannot be replaced.
- The original grade was not assigned as a result of a violation of the Academic Honesty policy.
Nursing and Dental Hygiene courses are not eligible for grade forgiveness. Additionally, Grade Forgiveness does not apply to courses required for admissions to the Nursing or Dental Hygiene programs. All attempts at courses reviewed for admission by these programs will be included in the GPA calculation required for admission to those programs.
Students requesting grade forgiveness must be pursuing a degree at GPC. This policy does not apply to transient students, special students, or dual enrollment students. (See Policy 121 Grade Forgiveness in the college Policy Manual.)