Placement Testing for New Students
All new students who are non-native speakers of English must take the ESL placement test unless
- they have transferable English 1101 transfer credit and are not CPC deficient in English, or
- they have an SAT I Verbal score of 430 or above, or
- they have an ACT English score of 17 or above, or
- they have a TOEFL score of 523 paper or 69 iBT or above.
All entering students without transferable math credit (Math 1101 or higher) and SAT Math scores below 440 are required to take the math portion of the Computer Adaptive Assessment and Support System (COMPASS).
Students should call the testing center at the location where they wish to test to sign up for the tests: Clarkston Testing Center 678-891-3700 or Dunwoody Testing Center 770-274-5440.
These placement tests are very important as they will determine at which level students begin classes.
The ESL placement test consists of a computerized listening comprehension, reading comprehension, and grammar exam. In addition, there is a required writing sample. Students must complete all four parts of the exam to register for classes. Because the writing sample is not machine scored, it usually takes at least 2 business days to get the results back. Students are encouraged to take the ESL placement test as early as possible before the term begins.
After taking the initial ESL Placement test, all students can retest on the computer portion of the test in accordance with the following criteria:
1. All students have the right to retest ONCE on the computer portion of the ESL Compass test.
2. Students may NOT retest on any portion of the ESL Placement test once they have attended any ESL class at the college.
3. The essay portion of the test cannot be retaken (ESL Writing).
4. There is no mandatory waiting period between the retests.
5. Applicants who choose to retest must retest on all computer portions of the ESL Compass test.
6. Placement will be determined by the combination of the best scores between the placement test and placement retest.
7. ESL Compass retesting is NOT allowed once classes begin and during the first two week of the semester.
8. The fee for retesting is $20.
Retesting Following a 1-year or More Absence from the College
Beginning Summer 2014, students who leave the college before completing all required ENSL courses will retest upon readmission to the college, if their absence is one year or longer and if they do not have transfer credit for ENGL 1101 and 30 semester hours of transfer credit from a regionally accredited college or university. Students are bound by the placement retest in those areas of ESL that they have not completed. The ESL Program will honor those courses previously completed with a grade of “C” or better.
Students are placed into the ESL courses based on the following scores:
|ESL Compass Reading Score|
|Less than or equal to 74||ENSL 0073|
|Greater than or equal to 92||Exempt from ESL Reading|
|ESL Compass Listening Score|
|Less than or equal to 77||ENSL 0072|
|Greater than or equal to 88||Exempt from ESL Academic Communication|
|ESL Placement Writing/Essay Score|
|10 or 20||ENSL 0071|
|50||Exempt from ESL Applied Grammar|