SECTION 400 - STUDENT AFFAIRS
401.0101 ACADEMIC RENEWAL
This policy allows degree seeking students who have experienced academic difficulty to make a fresh start and have one final opportunity to earn an associate degree at Georgia Perimeter College after an absence of five (5) calendar years.
Former Developmental Studies/Learning Support students may apply for Academic Renewal only if they successfully completed all Developmental Studies/Learning Support requirements prior to the commencement of the five-year absence.
A. All previously attempted coursework continues to be recorded on the student's official transcript.
1) A Renewal GPA is begun when the student resumes taking coursework following approval for Academic Renewal.
2) The Academic Renewal GPA will be used for determining academic standing and eligibility for graduation.
a) To earn a degree, a student must meet all graduation requirements after acquiring academic renewal status.
b) At least 50% of work toward a degree must be completed after the granting of Academic Renewal status for a student to be eligible for honors at graduation.
3) Academic credit for previously completed coursework, including transfer coursework, will be retained only for courses in which an A, B, or C grade has been earned.
a) Retained grades are not calculated in a Renewal GPA. Such credit is considered in the same context as transfer credit, credit by examination, and courses with grades of "S."
b) Courses with D or F grades must be repeated at Georgia Perimeter College if they are required in the student's degree program. Further, all remaining courses for the current degree objective must be completed at Georgia Perimeter College, i.e., no transient credit will be accepted.
c) Applicability of retained credit to degree requirements will be determined by the degree requirements currently in effect at the time Academic Renewal status is conferred on the student. Specific program regulations must also be met.
B. A student can be granted
Academic Renewal status only one time at any University System of Georgia
C. Transfer Credit
1) Students on exclusion: a student who has been on exclusion from Georgia Perimeter College and has attended one or more University System of Georgia institutions during the period of exclusion will not be eligible for Academic Renewal.
2) Non-excluded students: a student who has not been on exclusion from Georgia Perimeter College but who has been absent five years or more and who has attended a school other than Georgia Perimeter College may choose only one of the following options:
a) A student may return to Georgia Perimeter College subject to all relevant transfer and reentry policies. No renewal GPA is calculated and transfer credit will be granted for applicable courses taken during the absence.
b) A student may apply for Academic Renewal. If Academic Renewal status is approved, no transfer credit will be granted for coursework completed during the absence.
D. Any exclusions which
occurred in the past shall remain recorded on the student's permanent record.
If an exclusion (either first or second) is on the record and the student
encounters subsequent academic difficulty after having been granted Academic
Renewal, the next exclusion would subject the student to dismissal.
E. If a student does not
request Academic Renewal status at the time of re-enrollment after a five year
or greater period of absence, the student may do so within three semesters of
re-enrollment or within one calendar year, whichever comes first. The Renewal
GPA begins with the semester following re-enrollment.
into any program is not automatic.
G. If a student is denied
Academic Renewal and subsequently does not re-enroll, he/she may resubmit an
Academic Renewal application after no fewer than three semesters have passed
since the initial petition.
H. The granting of Academic
Renewal does not supersede financial aid policies regarding Satisfactory
I. The granting of Academic Renewal does not supersede the admissions requirements of certain programs, e.g., dental hygiene, nursing, which require a specific minimum grade point average based upon all coursework.
Approved by College Advisory Board 4/29/04
Paragraph One amended to include “after an absence of five(5) calendar years”
7/04 – email approval by College Advisory Board