SECTION 800 - HUMAN RESOURCES
802.50 AIDS GUIDELINES
1. Georgia Perimeter College students will receive educational programs on the prevention of AIDS. Current, reliable information will be easily accessible to the student.
2. Georgia Perimeter College students and employees who have AIDS or are HIV positive may attend classes or continue work as long as they are physically and psychologically able to do so. Response will be made on a case-by-case basis.
3. The rights of students with AIDS will be protected. Harassment of these students will not be tolerated. Confidential information will be handled with extraordinary care. No specific information concerning complaints or diagnosis is to be provided to faculty, administrators, agencies or parents without the expressed written consent of the student unless compelled by law.
4. Georgia Perimeter College will provide confidential referrals to any student requesting AIDS counseling assistance programs.
5. Applicants will not be denied general college admissions or employment because they have AIDS or are HIV positive.
6. Georgia Perimeter College will abide by the current safety guidelines adopted by the Center for Disease Control and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration for the handling of body fluids and potentially infective waste. A program of education will be established to introduce new employees involved in instructions in Biology laboratories, the Nursing program, the Dental Hygiene program, and in Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) to the procedures.
7. A Georgia Perimeter College review committee composed of the Assistant Director of Wellness, the Chair of the Nursing Department, the Chair of Dental Hygiene, the Program Coordinator of Fire Management, the Vice President for Student Affairs, and the Provosts will hear individual cases and make recommendations to the President.
Revised AdCab 10/11/88
Approved by College Advisory Board 7/27/00