SECTION 800 HUMAN RESOURCES
803.22 EMPLOYMENT OF FULL-TIME STAFF PERSONNEL
In order to ensure consistency in the hiring of staff personnel, Georgia Perimeter College staff positions are advertised without respect to campus/district office assignment. The specific focus of individual staff positions, though, requires significant input from the campus/district office where the vacancy exists. Staff hiring, therefore, is a campus/district office-centered activity.
Campus/district office assignments for staff positions are made at the conclusion of the hiring process. Staff personnel, like all Georgia Perimeter College employees, may be transferred among campuses to meet the operational needs of the College.
The following procedural steps are established for the employment of staff personnel:
1. DP 20/21 are completed by Budget Manager when vacant budgeted position exists.
2. DP 20/21 are routed to: (1) Human Resources Department; (2) Assistant Director of Finance/Budgets; (3) Executive Vice President for Financial and Administrative Services; and (4) returned to Human Resources.
3. DP 20/21 are returned to the Human Resources Department for (1) advertising in accordance with posted advertising procedures; and (2) position announcement disbursal.
4. A Screening Committee may be appointed by the Budget Manager in consultation with appropriate Campus/District Administrator. (The Budget Manager will notify the Human Resources Department of the Screening Committee membership.) The Budget Manager or Chair of the Screening Committee, will make an announcement (via e-mail) to the College community regarding the screening process (timeline, etc).
5. The Human Resources Department receives applications and sends acknowledgment card to applicants.
6. Five days after the posted deadline, the Human Resources Department provides appropriate instructions, forms, etc. and forwards applicant files to Budget Manager.
7. The Budget Manager and/or Screening Committee Chair reviews applications for an appropriate pool and notifies the Human Resources Department.
8. The Budget Manager and/or Screening Committee Chair shall select a minimum of three applicants for interview per position and schedules interviews with the chosen candidates and notifies internal applicants that the appropriate Campus/District Administrator (Provost/Vice President) will be notified of his/her application for another position within the College.
Any candidate invited for interview who requires special accommodations under ADA should contact the Director of Human Resources (404-244-2380).
9. The Budget Manager and/or Screening Committee Chair is responsible for checking three references prior to scheduling interview and documenting them on the appropriate forms.
10. The Budget Manager and/or Screening Committee Chair notifies the Human Resources Department of interview schedule. If applicable, the budget manager/screening committee chair submits a list of interview questions for the file. If the list of candidates to be interviewed included internal applicants, the Chair is responsible for notifying the appropriate Campus/District Administrator (Provost/Vice President) that the individual is being considered for another position within the College.
11. The Budget Manager and/or Screening Committee conducts interviews. A representative from the Human Resources Department and/or the appropriate Campus/District Administrator may request to observe the interview.
12. All candidates to be interviewed must complete an official Georgia Perimeter College Employment Application form and be given the opportunity to complete the EEO form.
13. The Budget Manager makes a recommendation to the appropriate Campus/District Administrator submitting the following:
a. Letter of recommendation stating recommended salary and starting date;
b. Affirmative Action Checklist (complete #1,7-9 ONLY, sign and date);
c. Applicant Flow Chart (using a copy of the alphabetic list provided, please document applicants status with regard to the position: race, gender, meets/does not meet requirements, transcripts, declined interview, cancelled interview, etc.)
d. Interview Check lists from everyone involved in the interview process (signed and dated);
e. Three references documented on appropriate form;
f. Original application packet for selected candidate and other applicants interviewed;
g. Georgia Perimeter College Employment Application (completed) for all interviewed candidates; and,
h. Copy of the letter of recommendation to the Provost or District Administrator.
The Campus/District Administrator forwards the approved recommendation and
all appropriate materials listed above to the Human Resources Department.
NOTE: A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION MUST BE COMPLETED ON ALL INTERVIEWED APPLICANTS IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
PLANT OPERATIONS, FINANCE, COLLEGE SERVICES (AUXILIARY/LOGISTICAL SERVICES), CONTINUING EDUCATION, PROTECTIVE SERVICES AND ANYONE DEALING WITH MINORS.
A PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TEST MAY ALSO BE REQUIRED BY LAW IN SOME AREAS. (Consult the Human Resources Department for applicable positions.)
At this time selected candidates for final review are required to complete appropriate forms to initiate the background process. Contact the Human Resources Department for necessary forms.
14. The Human Resources Department obtains the appropriate DP 20/21 and attaches to recommendation.
15. The Budget Manager and/or Screening Committee Chair returns all files of candidates not
recommended directly to the Human Resources Department.
16. The Human Resources Department notifies candidates interviewed, but not selected, that they are no longer being considered for the position.
17. The Human Resources Department consults with the Executive Vice President for Financial and Administrative Affairs regarding salary placement.
18. The Human Resources Department prepares a letter of offer to the selected candidate stating effective employment date, salary, campus location and benefits.
19. Offer letter is sent to selected candidate with a copy to the Budget Manager and appropriate Campus/District Administrator.
20. The Screening Committee Chair/Budget Manager should notify any internal candidates regarding their candidacy prior to a college wide announcement naming the new employee.
21. If the candidate declines the offer of employment, the Budget Manager may select another candidate from among those who were interviewed and/or recommended, or may recommend that the search be reopened.
20. The appropriate Campus/District Administrator will make an announcement (via e-mail) regarding the new employee (title, starting date, office location, telephone number).
Approved CAB 11/20/97