Network Services team provides internet and telecommunication services for Georgia Perimeter College’s (GPC) students, faculty, staff and GPC guests who are mobile users. The Network Services group supports a voice and data network, which is an Ethernet, based network IP network spanning 55 buildings on six campuses.
The data network includes border routers, core routers and distribution routers that are interconnected via gigabit Ethernet between Alpharetta, Clarkston, Decatur, Dunwoody, Newton and Lakeside campuses. Network service is responsible for Firewall, Intrusion detection, packet shaping, and content filtering.
The Network Service team also provides design for data cabling, voice cabling (including multi-pair backbone cabling), fiber optic cabling (both interior and outside patch cabling), all associated pathways, termination hardware and wire management. Network Services installs, maintains and supports the data network from the wall plate to our Internet services.
Telecommunication support is also provided from the Network Services team. This support is for all Georgia Perimeter College students, faculty and staff. The premise-based system is deployed using the advance VOIP services for voice and messaging services. The services also provide local and long-distance dial tone, faxing, fire alarm, and analog service.
- OIT requires additional steps to access the wired and wireless network to ensure the security of network and computing resources. Network access to services including websites, email, internet/intranet, network shares, and printing requires the use of authentication (entering a username/password) via Network Access Control (NAC).
Network Support – Infrastructure
- Infrastructure Technology Network engineering group provides consulting for network installations and applications on topics such as computer lab installations, Internet bandwidth requirements, building renovations and departmental network upgrades.
Streaming Media at GPC
- Streaming is a way of delivering media files
so that the file is received incrementally rather than fully downloaded. This protects the file from being downloaded and re-published by users. However, only .wma (audio) and .wmv (video) files can be streamed from GPC’s Windows Media Streaming server.
- Infrastructure Technology operations is responsible for the operation of enterprise-wide computers and monitoring enterprise-wide applications and the campus-wide network. Infrastructure Technology is responsible for providing the following services: System Status and Availability, Network Status and Availability, Storage of Backup Media, Problem Escalation for Enterprise Applications and Campus-wide Network.
Wireless and Wired - Campus Internet Access
- Wireless network service is available in all Georgia Perimeter College buildings at Alpharetta, Decatur, Clarkston, ConEd, Lakeside, and Newton. Coverage includes all academic buildings, all administrative buildings, student centers, and some popular outside areas. Students, faculty and staff can connect to the wireless service using their GPC username and password.
Wireless Printing for Students
- Students wishing to use their laptop to access the Student Print Management System may do so using the following links. You will be required to install a small program which will allow you to interact with the printing system. Please click the appropriate link and follow the instructions for installation.