Georgia Perimeter College
Staff Survey Results
Staff Senate Kick-Off – March 1, 2011
Questionnaire – June of 2011
Convocation – August 15, 2011
What are the responsibilities of the Staff Senate?
- Advise and make recommendations on existing and proposed policies to the administration of the College to promote fair and impartial treatment of staff employees
- The policies and procedures for advancement are not clear; where can they be viewed – promotion and pay raises
- How are promotions and pay raises determined?
- The line for mobility is not clearly articulated – how are promotions done?
- GPC needs a “technical career ladder”
- Wish to see GPC commit to promote from within more frequently.
- Reclassification could create a better path for upward mobility (academic services, secretaries, lab supervisors who teach w/o corresponding pay)
- Policies and procedures should be in writing, accessible and ongoing job related training should be given
- The policy regarding travel reimbursement does not seem to be the same college wide.
- Sponsored developmental opportunities – stipends and financial compensation for seminars, projects and
- Why the difference in how ADP is executed? (Not all biweekly sign in the same way)
- Selection for task forces/teams does not appear to be equitable and information from these forums is not disseminated.
- Serve as a resource for inquiriesby, and requests from, in order to address general staff concerns (Be a Voice)
- Pay Raises/ Industry competitive pay
- Longer closing at Christmas/Winter to compensate some for no pay raise
- Improve the “speed of trust” (“communication and involvement is [mere] window dressing”
- Not all offices are able to participate in events because the offices must remain open at all times.
- Though GPC shows some encouragement for “career-long professional development”, the present culture does not really support it in action.
- Better communication of changes and decisions that affect how staff perform work and inform our customers.
- Need Certification training courses (for technology courses)
- Suggest and promote activities that provide employees the opportunity to build informal relationships, thus aiding improved communication among staff employees and faculty
- Create a joint staff and faculty development day w/ cross training for appreciation of each group’s role and function.
- Have an annual Employee Appreciation Day bringing all campuses together (Clarkston Stadium) in May
- Solicit more input from front-line and support staff on how the work environment could improve
- Have developmental programs designed to improve communication skills between all employees, be they supervisor, faculty or staff member –Respect
- Training for employees to be “experts”
- Cross training, interdepartmental training to improve appreciation of all aspects of the college
- Fun Activities
- Facilitate training and staff development opportunities including, but not limited to, coordinating Staff Development Day, welcoming new staff employees, developing a mentoring system for new and existing staff, and serving as a resource for information on college procedures and processes and to serve as a liaison with the college’s Executive
- Staff development for Administrative Assistants – inform on departmental changes
- Training in project management, Lean Six Sigma, Presentation Skills, Advanced Microsoft applications (Word, Excel etc)
- Cross Training – enhanced knowledge = better customer service
- Information on how to help students succeed
- Communication Skills
- Have a joint Staff & Faculty Development Day
- Shadow an Administrator Day
- Career Building
- Team Building Exercises
- Diversity & Ethics Training
- Safe Zone Programs
- Green Initiatives
- Computer skill training for Plant Operations Staff
- Health & Wellness for Staff
- Franklin Covey and Dale Carnegie workshops
- Public Speaking
- Resume, Interviewing workshops
- Promote Performance Management – (how to really participate in the evaluation process)
- Conflict Resolution
- Fun Activities
- Participate in the activities of the University System of Georgia Staff Council
The GPC Staff Senate is represented on the University System of Georgia Staff Council, an umbrella organization consisting of representatives from Staff Senates/Councils of USG colleges. We have a representative to that council who will inform us of pending activities and concerns discussed.
- Other Responses
Temperature in the office - very cold
Break rooms for staff (coffee in closet, lunch at desk)
Tools and resources to assist students – (laptops/computer)
Crowded work area, lack of privacy and impersonal setting when working with students
Lack of sufficient parking spots
Mal functioning water fountains
Inadequate bathroom facilities on some floors
Cleanliness of facilities
What I really want my Staff Senate to do is:
- Separate gen-mail from the regular email
- Tuition discounts for children of full-time employees
- Salary increases – reference to study that was done three years ago
- Day Care possibilities
- Telecommuting Options for staff
- Staff Contribution to the SACS process
- Four day work week & 4 ½ day work week
- Reduced MARTA fees for employees (reduced prices on museums and zoos)
- Social areas at each campus for employees
- Community Outreach
- Review of open meeting/records act